Pearls have been used in jewelry and adorned by many for thousands of years but the knowledge of caring for them remains unknown to many until it is too late. In order to have a sense of necessity on the importance of caring for your pearls, you must first understand how pearls are created and what gives them their desirability. This can be easily understood without taking a biology course and the important facts are listed here:
– Pearls are created inside of oysters and other types of mollusks.
– The Nacre of a pearl, what gives a pearl it’s shine and beauty, is actually a part of the oyster shell’s inner lining.
– When a foreign object enters the oyster, the mantle (organ that creates the shell) coats this foreign object with nacre to protect itself.
– The result of this process is a single pearl.
Caring For Your Pearl Jewelry
These are just a few simple steps you can take to help maintain the beauty of your pearls. If care isn’t taken to protect their delicate structure, you may end up with a dull looking bead instead of the elegant pearl you originally had.
– Apply lotion, makeup, perfume and any other products with chemicals prior to wearing your pearl jewelry. Chemicals will harm pearls and may change their color and over all appearance.
– The safest way to clean pearls is with a soft microfiber cloth and warm water. You can use a mild soap if necessary.
– Store your pearl jewelry separately from other jewelry items since stones and metals can scratch the pearls causing irreparable damage.
~ Love & Pearls ~